About Our Parish
Archbishop Thomas A. Connolly established St. Paul Parish in June 29, 1953. The new parish was formed from members of St. Edward Parish, St. Anthony Parrish and St. George Parish.Father Joseph Vogel was the founding pastor and celebrated the first masses for the new parishioners at Emerson School on 60th Avenue South and Pilgrim Street beginning on October 4, 1953.
Original Contstruction 1954
Architect Roger Gotteland was busy with the building plans for the new church and school, and construction began on a 15-acre plot in Seattle’s Rainier Beach district in April 1954.
St. Paul school opened its doors in September 1953, staffed by the Sisters of the Holy Cross who ran the school from 1954-1987. Mass was said in the new church on the Feast of the Immaculate Conception, December 8, 1954.In 1956, A rectory was completed which sits up on the hill on Ryan Street.
In 1960, sculptor and parishioner, Fredericka Richard, finished hand-carving the altar Crucifix and the Stations of the Cross. These were her gifts to the church and still today, they beautifully grace our parish walls.
Many families have raised their children in St. Paul Parish, and it has been the center of the important sacramental and life events of its parishioners. Father Art Gramaje, a son of the parish, was ordained priest here in February 1994.
Father Joseph Tyson was appointed pastor in 1997. During his pastorate, a Vision Committee was appointed, whose work culminated in a Parish Mission Day in September 2000 leading to a new Master Plan. This was followed by a capital campaign and a major renovation of the parish facilities in 2002. St. Paul stands ready, after 60 years, to continue passing on the faith to new generations. (See more pictures of the 2002 renovation of St. Paul Parish.)
In 2005, Fr. Joseph Tyson was appointed Auxiliary Bishop of Seattle and Fr. Felino Paulino stepped in to oversee St. Paul Parish, first as priest administrator and later as pastor in 2007. Currently, Fr. Felino continues his pastorate at St. Paul Parish, as well as at St. Edward Parish and St. George Parish, with the assistance of Parochial Vicars, Fr. Bob Kenny and Fr. Negusse Keleta.
St. Paul Parish has had several priests as pastors. Here is a chronological list from beginning to the present.
Fr. Joseph Vogel, 1953
Fr. Gerald Lovett, 1974
Fr. John F. Marsh, 1978
Fr. Dennis Sevilla, priest administrator, 1980
Fr. Michael J. Ryan, 1981
Fr. Lester J. McCloskey, 1984
Fr. William Heric, co-pastor, 1995
Fr. Joseph Tyson, 1997
Fr. Felino Paulino, priest administrator, 2005
Fr. Felino Paulino, pastor, 2007 – present.
When Pope Benedict XVI announced that the church would observe a celebration in honor of St. Paul the Apostle, from June 28, 2008 through June 29, 2009, St. Paul Parish was appointed by Archbishop Alex J. Brunett as a place of pilgrimage where people could obtain a plenary indulgence. St. Paul Parish graciously welcomed pilgrims from places as far as Buckley and Everett. Every first Saturday during the Year of St. Paul, the parish hosted prayer groups and local parishioners and those from other parishes could receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation. The Year of St. Paul culminated with the closing Mass on June 28, 2009, which was celebrated by Archbishop Brunett along with all the local parishioners and pilgrim visitors. (Learn more about the Year of St. Paul at this Pauline website.)
Today, the history of St. Paul Parish continues on through the many blessed sacramental events experienced by our parishioners, the visitors who come every year, and through the ever constant prayers that flow through the lips of our faith community.
Thank you for visiting our website, please visit us physically at St. Paul Church!
Auxiliary Bishop Tyson
Fr. Art Gramaje, long time St. Paul parishioner,
was ordained priest in 1994 at St. Paul Parish.
Fr. Felino and Eucharistic Ministers